Junta arson attack kills two villagers in Sagaing region of Myanmar — H Talk Asia

Two elderly men died when their homes were burned down by junta forces in a village in the Sagaing region, locals told RFA.

The men were too old to flee after an earlier arson attack and were still living in Shwe Taung village in Budalin Municipality when a military column marched in on Monday and torched 13 houses.

“A 92-year-old crippled man and another man in his 100s who could not move were trapped in the fire,” said Min, the commune’s communications officer. He said one of the men asked the troops not to burn his house.

Min, who goes by one name, said an anti-junta soldier from the People’s Defense Forces was also killed while scouting in a nearby forest.

The troops that torched the village belonged to a battalion of the Yangon-based Air Defense Forces, who had arrived to reinforce troops in Budalin Municipality, local residents said. RFA could not independently confirm the claim.

Locals said the junta cut internet and phone access in Budalin before the attack.

Aye Lwin, the junta’s spokesman for Sagaing region, said he was unaware of an attack and urged RFA to contact the junta’s minister of security and border affairs.

The military’s national spokesman, Maj. Gen. Zaw Min Tun, said the RFA’s junta forces had not set fire to any homes in Shwe Taung.

More than 27,000 homes in the Sagaing region have been burned since the military seized power in a February 2021 coup, according to figures released last month by independent research group Data for Myanmar.

Translated by RFA Burmese. Written in English by Mike Firn.