More than 1,000 people flee their homes in Sagaing region — H Talk Asia

More than 1,000 people from three villages in Tigyaing township in Sagaing region fled their homes on Wednesday as the junta continued its campaign of arson attacks.

Residents of Me Zar Lay and Kan Pauk abandoned their villages after troops stormed and burned neighboring Aung Thar Kone.

“The junta forces entered Aung Thar Kone around 8am, so residents had to flee and watch from afar as the village burned. I don’t know how much it burned,” a local told RFA on condition of anonymity for safety reasons.

“Now in the middle of the day troops are entering Me Zar Lay and Kan Pauk. They haven’t set fire to the village of Kan Pauk yet. These are places where there is no fighting but the junta forces are still occupying the villages.”

According to locals, troops had already burned down 40 houses on Tuesday after storming two other villages.

They said junta forces have been conducting a scorched-earth operation in Tigyaing township since November, forcing more than 10,000 residents from nearly 20 villages to flee.

On Sunday, the township people’s administration group announced that between November 25 and December 3, 437 houses in seven villages were destroyed by fire.

RFA called Sagaing region junta spokesman Aye Hlaing on Wednesday for his comments on the military campaign, but the calls went unanswered.

Some 61,6500 people have fled their homes in the Sagaing region due to fighting and insecurity since the military toppled Myanmar’s democratically elected government on February 1, according to a report by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs released on December 3 . Coup 2021.

The region accounts for 70% of the nearly 39,000 buildings destroyed by fire across the country since the military took power, according to data from the Institute for Strategy and Policy covering the first 21 months since the coup.